Friday, May 06, 2005

Jot: First Crack in Sony PSP's Copy Protection Scheme

This seems like a limited (initial) crack of the Sony Play Station Portable's copy protection scheme:

The group [Paradogs] succeeded in extracting the files from the Universal Media Disc (UMD), a proprietary storage module that contains games or movies for the Sony gaming device. The ability to extract files from the discs is a first step in producing illegal copies of the software or making adjustments to the code. Because there are no UMD burners available, the crack will not cause much harm for now. But users could in theory put the software on a memory stick and run it from the storage device.


Blogger Grim said...

Creating illegal copies? How about the fact that I bought the game and don't want to carry it around with me? I am totally against piracy, but not at the degredation of my right to make back up copies of the software I own. What if my Tiger Woods '06 game for my PSP breaks or scratches? Now what, I get to spend another $50 for software I have already purchased. People really need to know what they are talking about before making news like statements. Yes there are people out there who are melicious and will go to great lengths to pirate software and deystroy software, but 90% of people just want to create their own games (often better than the original developers as they have more of a passion for it). So the 90% suffers for the 10%? That sound reasonable. Question for the author, "Do you own a PlayStation Portable, and if so do you know anything about software laws?"

7/12/05 18:18  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home