Monday, February 21, 2005

U2-Negativland iPod on Auction, Again



In December a Special EdItion U2 iPod was filled with eight albums of Negativland and put up for auction at eBay. The parody was obvious, Negativland being sued in 1991 over a collage parody of U2's song I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For and related album art (see picture above, here's a MP3 of the Negativland song). Apple didn't find the parody very funny, told eBay the auction violated its intellectual property rights, after which the auction was taken down.

Now the person that put the U2-Negativland iPod up for auction at eBay has decided to offer it at his own site:
I believe now, as I did then, that my parody is a legitimate exercise of my free speech rights, and that any claims Apple might make as to infringement are entirely baseless.
The auction starts today and will last until March 15.

- - -
Thanks Maarten

Later (28/2): Last week's news today in Wired

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home